Algebra with 'Jabara'
MATHEMATICS SKILL COVERED
- Simplifying constants
- Adding to both sides
- Coefficients, like terms, multiplying constants
- Unknowns on both sides, adding variables, swapping sides
- Fractions, dividing both sides
- Multiplying both sides, adding fractions with like denominators
- Brackets, and bracketed terms multiplied by constants
- Factors, adding fractions with unlike denominators
- More complex fractions, x as the coefficient
HOW TO PLAY
Do you think algebra is hard? Think again. Our Jabara game will help you build rock-solid algebra skills fast. 180+ puzzling but fun levels with concept introduction and skill consolidation will take you from zero to hero as you solve mysteries and uncover the exotic 9th century origins of algebra.
Algebra is one of the most powerful scientific concepts ever to have been invented by man but its very existence is threatened by the cruel mongols. Travel back in time to 9th century Baghdad and learn algebra concepts to save them for humanity.
Drag tiles together to manipulate terms, simplify constants and isolate x to solve each problem. Isolate x in the minimum number of moves and win three Golden Orbs.
There are multiple levels in each stage. Complete levels in the stage to gain achievements.
To get the maximum three orbs for each level, you must isolate the variable and simplify your answer in the minimum number of moves.
- Fully simplified answers will not contain any like variables or constants that can be added, or any fractions with a common factor in the numerator and denominator.
- Where possible, you must also remove brackets.
At the end of each level, students are awarded with 'orbs'.
The number of 'orbs' awarded depends on how x was isolated:
- 1 orbs = x isolated + over the move count + not fully simplified
- 2 orbs = x isolated + under the move count + not fully simplified
- 2 orbs = x isolated + over the move count + fully simplified
- 3 orbs = x isolated + under the move count + fully simplified
Medals are awarded for completing a stage.
BRONZE = 1 or more levels has 1 orb within a stage
SILVER = 1 or more levels has 2 lights awarded within a stage
GOLD = 3 lights awarded on all levels within a stage
GAME LEVELS IN EACH STAGE AND DOWNLOAD PAPER TRANSFER EXERCISES
Modern mathematics games like Jabara get your students thinking about hard algebra concepts and practicing, but transferring digital mathematics skills to paper remains an important priority. Your students will not fully benefit unless you complement their games-based learning with paper work.
The Jabara Paper Transfer Kit is designed to reinforce digital skills learned in Jabara, and also to assess student progress. Each exercise has brief student instructions on how it should be completed, and is designed to follow on from playing Jabara. The worksheet uses terms introduced during the game, and asks students to replicate the work they have done digitally with pen and paper.
Each set of Exercises in the Paper Transfer Kit are associated with one of the game challenges. The game challenges are in groups of 20 levels, each challenge is represented by different-coloured segments.
Teachers should share and encourage students to complete exercises from the Paper Transfer Kit as they complete the levels in the game for maximum benefit.
Download your Paper Transfer Kit here.
PAPER TRANSFER KIT WORKSHEETS
CHALLENGE 1: Simplifying constants
Game levels 1-20
CHALLENGE 2: Adding to both sides
Game levels 21-40
CHALLENGE 3: Coefficients, like terms, multiplying constants
Game levels 41-60
CHALLENGE 4: Unknowns on both sides, adding variables, swapping sides
Game levels 61-80
CHALLENGE 5: Fractions, dividing both sides
Game levels 81-100
CHALLENGE 6: Multiplying both sides, adding fractions with like denominators
Game levels 101-120
CHALLENGE 7: Brackets 1 - Brackets, and bracketed terms multiplied by constants
Game levels 121-140
CHALLENGE 8: Factors, adding fractions with unlike denominators
Game levels 141-160